Monday, November 19, 2007

Have you ever received a letter from Who's Who? There are several variations of Who's Who and they will have difference names attached to them. BEWARE: They are all the same and just a scam to get your money. In May, I got a letter from Cambridge Who's Who. I kind of felt like I knew what this was about, but opened the letter to see what it was about. It was some tastefully designed letter about how I had been chosen to be in the Who's Who Directory for professional women. I was so excited about this opportunity; I could put this on my resume, not to mention tell friends and family. They had gotten my number some how and had left several messages almost everyday. I always forgot to record the number to call them back, so finally I call and speak with some lady. So, we're on the phone and she is conducting my interview. The interview was pretty easy and before you knew it I was in! The excitement of this membership had me grinning from ear to ear, proud of myself and the professionalism I obtained from four years of college and great mentors. To burst my bubble, the lady conducting my interview "presents" two membership options: gold or platinum. The gold package was $500 I believe and the platinum membership was $1,000. Mind you it did include a prestious membership with gold certificates and networking up the butt, but...no. Stuck in my tracks, I pretended to get out my credit card, put her on "hold" and hung up. Thinking why did I do this, she calls back again and again to complete her transaction. I'm completely non-confrontational and will avoid the heck out of something. She calls the office again until she stops. I figure I can't allow this to continue, so I call when I get home and ask her to not call my home or office because I'm not interested in the service. Word of caution: Do not accept any letters or phone calls from Who's Who- it's just a scam. Google them and see for yourself.

No comments: