Monday, August 04, 2008

The Last Week of Class and the Controvesy of Marketing

During the last week of class, my professor offered in a post for the class to take part in providing photos or clips that created a PR crisis for an organization or an individual. All of my class members chose moments of the infamous New Yorker cover of the Obama in ethnic garb and military fatigue doing the fist bump to the Beijing Olympics. I chose IndyMac, the bank who recently collapse after word spread of plummeting stock prices and a possible seizure from the Feds.

A classmate in particular chose the United Colors of Benetton. I have been in the store from time to time, never bought anything, and visited their website. Until the classmate's post, I was unfamiliar with UCB's style of pr campaigns ranging from animal protests to world hunger. I was new to the thought of controvery marketing or what I like to refer to it as "shock" marketing. My professor mentions that companies make money or creat publicity through this type of marketing and proceeded to share this article by David Frey. I could not believe what I read regarding why companies retort to this style of marketing and to learn that it actually works. I think I may give one of those a shot. Be sure to check out 5 Methods of Creating a Storm of Controversy Marketing.

www.MarketingBestPractices.com

No comments: