Monday, July 14, 2008


I believe it was around April or May when I first heard Jazmine Sullivan's, I Need You Bad. At first I was like- what in the world? Has she been looking in on my life, reading my journal notes? I had just broken up with my boyfriend who is an islander and the reggae, island vibe of the music made it all so real. I suddenly began missing him, wondering if I made the right choice by ending our relationship. I've talked about this over and over again with friends and my sister, God and numerous times in my head, so I'm not writing about it in this blog. I'm just focusing on how the song made me feel. Music is incredible, it is able to bring life to thoughts, it verbalizes what we cannot say. This song spoke to me loudly and clearly- yet, I don't feel like I made the wrong choice about ending my relationship with my former boyfriend. Had I cheated on him from day 1 or ignored his needs or done some other selfish things then I would feel convicted by this song, but I don't. The end did turn out differently, so, I decided to break things off. Music can have this way of holding us captive or setting us free. It provides a chance to go back and make things right, learn from our mistakes and get it right the second time around. Perhaps, I could have tried to go back and fix things, but, I just didn't see the need. Sometimes it's best to walk away from somethings, for me anyway. If it sounds selfish it probably is, but, we all need to be selfish at some point in our lives to keep ourselves happy and balanced.

Man that song...


No comments: